What is Camp Skyhook?
Camp Skyhook, our flagship program, is an immersive experience that makes learning exciting by bringing it outdoors. Fourth and fifth graders are provided authentic, hands-on/minds-on experiences that inspire them towards a future in STEM (science, technology, engineering, math). The program is sponsored by the Skyhook Foundation in collaboration with the Los Angeles Unified School District. The curriculum was developed by UCLA and NASA-Armstrong Flight Research Center. Children embark on a 5-day, 4-night program in the Angeles National Forest where nature becomes the classroom, providing a multidimensional and multisensory learning experience that is transformational.
0Students So Far
Who Can Attend Camp Skyhook?
All 4th and 5th graders enrolled in LAUSD are eligible. Currently, schools must wait 6 years to receive an invitation to Camp Skyhook.
- 72% of students are English Language Learners
- 82% of children participate in free or reduced lunch programs
- Over 70% have no or limited experiences in natural environments (mountains, oceans, national parks)
- Over 15,000 homeless and foster youth are eligible to participate
The camp is in the beautiful Angeles National Forest which is less than an hour’s drive from Los Angeles. Still most our students have never experienced nature.
Students from different schools share the site. In addition to STEM (science, technology, engineering, and math) children are taught to collaborate with children from other schools. Deliberate attention is placed on placing schools together from the geographically diverse 715-mile LAUSD boundary. This results in student populations with a great diversity of backgrounds, ideas and experiences. Character development activities and our curriculum (developed by UCLA & NASA) promotes inclusion, team building and equity.
The camp is meticulously maintained to foster a sense of safety and togetherness that children desperately need. At Camp Skyhook, children not only get along…they depend on one another. The camp provides time honored activities that kids love! This includes hiking, swimming, skits and camp fires. Our goal is to create “more than happy memories.” We ignite and encourage a child’s interest in STEM.
the camp skyhook difference
Experts tell us that first-hand experience with a subject sparks neurons in a child’s brain that affect how long that child will retain a particular memory. Camp Skyhook can impact and even alter a child’s future by using STEM-based, hands-on learning to engage each child with nature.
At Camp Skyhook:
- Children are inspired to think beyond ‘rap star, reality star, sports star’ dreams and embrace positive life goals with achievable rewards.
- Children gain a sense of their own worth as they see, hear, taste and touch a bigger, more fascinating world than the one they’ve grown accustomed to.
- Children use iPads to solve botanical puzzles and biological challenges. They learn what’s safe to eat and to drink in the wilderness — even how to gauge their whereabouts by starlight.
At Camp Skyhook, we believe that when a child’s brain is stimulated at the right age and in the right way, curiosity will lead that child to seek out more information about science, technology, engineering and math. When children have fun and are engaged, the world opens up to them!